I made this two weeks ago and liked it a lot. It's spicy, but not toospicy and I loved the flavor and texture. I will do it slightly differently next time though and cut the carrots and squash into smaller pieces and possibly add a sweet touch, such as raisins and a sweet potato, to the stew. And maybe some chick peas for extra texture and a dash of cinnamon. I used white quinoa, but try red; it's so pretty. The cilantro really gives it the crowning touch, but if you don't like it, leave it out. This recipe came from Epicurious, and I'm adding it almost as it is written on their site. I just want it here for easy access the next time I want to make it.
Quinoa with Moroccan Winter Squash and Carrot Stew
A gorgeous, satisfying vegetarian main course that's easy to make. Quinoa requires no pre-soaking, so it's as simple to do as rice.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of saffron
1 cup water
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups 1-inch cubed peeled butternut squash (from a 1 1/2 pound squash)
2 cups 3/4-inch cubed peeled carrots
1 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon butter or Earth Balance
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped peeled carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups water or vegetable broth
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; saute until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
3. Mix in paprika and next 8 ingredients (through saffron).
4. Add 1 cup water, tomatoes and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
5. Add squash and carrots. Cover and simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally - 20 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
This can be prepared 1 day ahead. If so, cover and chill.
1. Rinse quinoa; drain.
2. Melt butter with oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add onion and carrot. Cover; cook until vegetables begin to brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
4. Add garlic, salt and turmeric; saute 1 minute.
5. Add quinoa; stir 1 minute.
6. Add 2 cups water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
Rewarm stew if made the day before. Put quinoa in bowl and spoon stew on top or to the side. Sprinkle with cilantro.